Training programs and seminars at HKNC headquarters in Sands Point, New York, feature small classes that foster a high level of personal attention and maximize hands-on learning opportunities.
A Two-Part Hybrid Course
Employment: Real Outcomes for People Who are Deaf-Blind
Part 1 Online — September 16-20, 2019 Online participation required for course completion
Part 2 On-site — September 25-27, 2019 at the Helen Keller National Center in Sands Point, NY
Debbie Fiderer, BA, Coordinator Community Services Program
Kathy Mezack, MS, CRC Coordinator of Vocational Services
This seminar is aimed at preparing vocational rehabilitation counselors and placement specialists as well as job developers and other related professionals with knowledge and skills needed to support individuals who are deaf-blind in finding and maintaining fulfilling employment that leads to an increased quality of life.
Upon completion of this course participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate a general understanding of the diversity within the deaf-blind population.
- Identify community and employment options for individuals with a combined vision and hearing loss.
- Identify strategies that support the job development process.
- Identify techniques to assist with successful job placement for individuals who are deaf-blind
- List strategies and accommodations that will enable deaf-blind individuals to participate in work environments alongside non-disabled peers.
- Describe strategies and accommodations that will assist deaf-blind individuals in interacting with their employer and co-workers.
- Identify various resources that may be of assistance in supporting the needs of an individual who is deaf-blind.
CRC credits provided at completion of both online and on-site trainings
COST: $900 Includes online and onsite training, training materials, CRC credits and three days lodging and meals**.
Registration deadline –August 26, 2019
Click here for the Professional Training Seminar Flyer in PDF format.Click here for the Professional Training Seminar Flyer in Word format.
Professional Training Seminar ApplicationClick here for the Professional Training Seminar Application in PDF.Click here for the Professional Training Seminar Application in Word.
For additional information, contact PLD@hknc.org.