This class will provide an overview of alternate communicative strategies and systems for individuals who are deaf-blind with intellectual disabilities. These strategies and tools include object symbols, schedule books, communication cards, picture cues, and basic tactile sign language. Participants will learn how and where to effectively use these tools so that they can increase communication and socialization with their individuals and provide a life that offers true inclusion.
Participants completing this webcast will be able to:
- Identify three benefits of using object symbols with individuals who are deaf-blind with intellectual disabilities
- List ways on how to develop and use concrete, functional object symbols that represent their individuals preferred activities
- Define the techniques of shared activity and partial participation
- Develop a basic, functional communication card.
- Define the correct listener / speaker role when communicating in tactile sign