Volunteer Worker for the Blind or Visually Impaired
Job Title: Volunteer Worker
Department: Rehabilitation (Brooklyn)
Reports To: Social Worker and Coordinator of Adaptive Living Program (ALP) Services
Summary: The volunteer worker participates in the Volunteer Mail Reading program, recreational groups/ activities and special events. The ideal volunteer is enthusiastic and self-motivated.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Read for the Volunteer Mail Reading program
- Schedule appointments to see clients
- Fax, shred and photocopy documents for clients
- Assist clients with sorting mail
- Outreach to former and current clients to promote program
- Participate in recreational groups/activities and special events
- Work creatively with clients, allowing them to express themselves through art
- Assist clients in ambulating within the Brooklyn office
- Wait with clients for transportation
- Assist with serving and clean up
- When reasonable, escort clients to Access a Ride certification meetings as well as activities located at the HKSB Brooklyn office.
Some experience with working with people, experience working with people with disabilities a plus.
High School Diploma or Equivalency
Ability to read, write and communicate clearly; bilingual a plus.