Special Education Teacher/Teacher of the Visually Impaired
Position: Special Education Teacher/Teacher of the Visually Impaired
Established in 1893, Helen Keller Services mission is to enable individuals, who are blind or have vision loss to live, work and thrive in their communities of choice. HKS is a pioneer in the field of blindness rehabilitation and education. Serving children from birth to age 5, the Children’s Learning Center is the only center in New York City that specializes in serving children who are visually impaired, blind and/or have multiple disabilities.
This is an exciting time to join our team here at Helen Keller Services. We are about to open a new school that we designed from the ground up. The new classrooms are large and well furnished with lots of adaptive toys and equipment. The classrooms have 8 children, 1 teacher and 2 assistant teachers in them. The teaching staff is encouraged to be creative in their lesson planning and learning materials are plentiful. We are centrally located at 180 Livingston Street which is accessible by the B, D, F, A, C, N, Q, R, 2, 3, 4, and 5 trains. This is a full time staff positions with full benefits including a 403B retirement plan and a tuition reimbursement program. We follow the New York City Department of Education calendar plus a 6 week summer session.
Teacher of the Visually Impaired (TVI) / Special Education Teacher teach in a special education preschool classroom with children who are blind / visually impaired. The children may have developmental delays as well as multiple impairments and have severe medical issues. Maintaining positive communication with parents, other staff members and professionals outside of HKSB is critical to success. Must demonstrate a sincere commitment to HKSB’s Mission and Values and conduct him/herself at a high professional level at all times and project a positive image of HKSB internally and externally. Reporting to the Children’s Learning Center (CLC) school principal the teacher’s primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develops instruction plans for individual students and the group of students based on the individual needs as outlined in the IEPs
- Develops and implements student specific adaptations for sensory, motor, self-help, and other areas of need in collaboration with therapists to maximize learning for each student.
- Works collaboratively with therapist and other school staff as the member of a trans-disciplinary team
- Establishes and maintains relationships with families, assisting families in carrying over strategies from school to home. Acts as the primary contact between home and school.
- Advocates for the educational and developmental needs of their students both in the school and in the wider community
- All reports, documentation and lesson plans are required & must be submitted timely
- NYS Certified Teacher of The Visually Impaired or NYS Certified Special Education Teacher for Early Childhood (Birth through second grade)
- Teachers without a TVI credential will be encouraged to pursue a credential as a Teacher of the Visually Impaired. Tuition reimbursement is available.
- Experience with children with disabilities preferred.