Since 1893, Helen Keller Services (HKS) has been committed to improving the lives of individuals who are blind, visually impaired or have combined hearing and vision loss. HKS is comprised of Helen Keller Services for the Blind, a regional division serving the New York City/Long Island area, and the Helen Keller National Center for Deaf-Blind Youth and Adults, a national division headquartered in Sands Point, New York, with a network of regional offices that extends HKS’ reach across the United States.
We currently have an exciting career opportunity available to join the HKS team as a full time Registered Nurse in Hempstead, NY.
Specific Responsibilities include:
- Participation as a member of the Interdisciplinary Team.
- Annual assessments of day habilitation/IRA participants.
- Functioning as a liaison between the Program and outside medical facilities.
- Conducting training/information sessions with consumers and/or staff on health related matters such as hygiene and weight control.
- Designing and implementing activities appropriate to the nutritional needs of the client.
- Providing dietary counseling.
- Periodically evaluating the nutritional value of meals.
- Creation and maintenance of records of client’s progress, reaffirming or establishing goals and providing nursing assessment.
- Conducting medication administration training for new employees.
- Recertifying AMAP on an annual basis.
- Training staff regarding nursing issues such as diabetic education.
- Providing oversight and supervision to all Agency LPN’s.
- Ensure ordering, documentation and provision of all medications.
- Ensure self-administration of medication evaluations are completed for consumers.
- Maintain PPD records - including planting and reading for staff as required.
- Responds within 15 minutes to AMAP concerns and medical emergencies. Responsible for other duties as may be assigned or requested by his/her immediate supervisor and/or the HKSB President & CEO.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
A person who is Licensed and currently Registered as a nurse [RN] by the New York State Department of Education. Preference will be given to someone who has specialized training or one year of professional experience in treating the developmentally disabled.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Must possess a New York State Department of Education license as a Registered Nurse.
CPR instructor certification and/or First Aid instructor certification preferred.
Valid Driver’s License