Regional Representative for our South Central Region
The mission of the Helen Keller National Center for Deaf-Blind Youths and Adults is to enable each person who is deaf-blind to live and work in his or her community of choice. Authorized by an Act of Congress in 1967, HKNC is the only organization of its kind—providing training and resources exclusively to people age 16 and over who have combined vision and hearing loss. Students travel from across the country to our headquarters in Sands Point, New York, for on-campus training in assistive technology, vocational services, orientation and mobility, communication and independent living, and our regional offices bring HKNC resources to communities throughout the United States. Employment at HKNC is a "one-of-a-kind" experience and at HKNC, we seek employees who have a strong work ethic, strive for excellence, enjoy a challenge, and are highly motivated and creative.
We currently have an exciting career opportunity available to join the HKNC team as a Regional Representative for our South Central Region covering the following areas: AR, LA, NM, OK, and TX. The Regional Representative provides outreach, support, referral, technical assistance and advocacy to individuals who are deaf-blind in the states in the South Central region. Through coordination of services, as well as community education and public awareness.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collaborate with consumers and community partners to identify deaf-blind youth and adults for inclusion in the HKNC National Registry.
- Facilitate the application process for individuals to HKNC for comprehensive vocational rehabilitation assessment and/or training and assure coordination of transition back to their community of choice.
- Provide advocacy, information and referral for individuals and their families to maximize independence and opportunities.
- Provide technical assistance, consultation and explore available service options with and on behalf of deaf-blind individuals.
- Coordinate and/or may provide professional development training/resources to increase the number of qualified service providers (targeted, universal and intensive).
- Offer and provide business relations and consultation services for employers to recruit, hire and retain qualified employees, develop employee retention strategies, and learn about work-site related accommodations.
- Work with HKNC and community-based teams to support consumers with achieving their quality of life and employment goals.
- Assist with National Deaf-Blind Equipment Distribution Program (NDBEDP) capacity building within the region.
- Support the development and/or partnering with consumer organizations/groups.
- Provide consultation, support, and training to/on behalf of individuals age 55 and above in collaboration with HKNC Senior Adult Specialists.
- Provide consultation, support, and training to/on behalf of transition-age young adults in collaboration with their families and community partners including, but not limited to: educators, vocational rehabilitation counselors, Deaf-Blind Projects, and the National Center on Deaf-Blindness.
- Collaborate, provide technical assistance and consultation with state/community partners to improve the quality of statewide services toward system change, reflecting increase in access and state capacity (e.g. Task Force, Interagency Teams)
Individual must be a self-starter, have the ability to work independently while being an engaging team member. Strong and effective communication and collaboration skills required. Position requires significant travel throughout states assigned.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
Master’s Degree preferred in Rehabilitation Counseling or a closely related degree. Preference given to an individual with five or more years full-time vocational rehabilitation work experience with individuals who are deaf-blind. Fluency in American Sign Language and written English. Counseling and advocacy skills required. Familiarity with Braille beneficial. Strong PC skills required.
Job Type: Full-time To apply, please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com