Employment Training Specialist- Community Services Program
The mission of the Helen Keller National Center for Deaf-Blind Youths and Adults is to enable each person who is deaf-blind to live and work in his or her community of choice. Authorized by an Act of Congress in 1967, HKNC is the only organization of its kind—providing training and resources exclusively to people age 16 and over who have combined vision and hearing loss. Students travel from across the country to our headquarters in Sands Point, New York, for on-campus training in assistive technology, vocational services, orientation and mobility, communication and independent living, and our regional offices bring HKNC resources to communities throughout the United States. Employment at HKNC is a "one-of-a-kind" experience and at HKNC, we seek employees who have a strong work ethic, strive for excellence, enjoy a challenge, and are highly motivated and creative.
We currently have an exciting career opportunity available to join the HKNC team as an Employment Training Specialist in our Community Services Program. The Employment Training Specialist in the Community Services Program is responsible for assisting with job development for deaf-blind consumers and acting as a job coach once employment is obtained.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
· Contacts and consults with potential employers regarding the development of substantial jobs for qualified deaf/blind workers in collaboration with the Placement Specialist.
· Supports consumer with developing a resume, cover letter, and skills needed to apply for jobs both online and in person.
· Obtains employment interviews and assists consumers at the interview, if needed
· Provides counseling and information to consumers as to work skills and appropriate work behaviors.
· Conducts Work Readiness and Soft Skills training classes for small groups of consumers or one on one in conjunction with Placement Specialist and Case Manager.
· Provide systematic instruction for the trainee to learn the job skills at the work site.
· Makes job modifications when necessary to allow deaf-blind consumers to perform job successfully.
· Provide training to consumers as well as co-workers and supervisors in communication strategies on the job.
· Assists consumers with self-advocacy regarding their responsibilities and opportunities at the work site.
· Provides in-service training to potential employers, co-workers, and support service providers in regard to the consumer’s skills, potential, and support needs. Such training can be applied to competitive or supported employment situations.
· Provide follow-up services for the employer and consumer in order to achieve a long-term and successful placement.
· Works collaboratively with a transdisciplinary team of rehabilitation professionals to ensure that consumers receive all necessary training and supports for success in their vocational and personal goals.
· Performs work related duties, when necessary, at the discretion of the Coordinator, Community Services Program, and the Director, Direct Services.
· Maintains necessary documentation regarding consumer progress, communicates regularly with Community Services Program colleagues, and completes required reports in a timely fashion.
Required: extensive local travel throughout Long Island and New York City. Meeting all job duties and responsibilities may require use of personal vehicle.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree in Special Education, Social Work, or related degree OR minimum one-year experience working with individuals who are Deaf-blind, blind, Deaf or multiply disabled. Proficiency in American Sign Language and other methods of communication utilized by individuals who are deaf-blind required.
Please note that this position is community-based and does require frequent travel to meet with consumers and employers.
To apply: send resume and cover letter to HKNCRecruitment@hknc.org