Director of Day Habilitation
Since 1893, Helen Keller Services (HKS) has been committed to improving the lives of individuals who are blind, visually impaired or have combined hearing and vision loss. HKS is comprised of Helen Keller Services for the Blind, a regional division serving the New York City/Long Island area, and the Helen Keller National Center for Deaf-Blind Youth and Adults, a national division headquartered in Sands Point, New York, with a network of regional offices that extends HKS’ reach across the United States.
We currently have an exciting career opportunity available to join the HKS team as a Director of Day Habilitation at our Hempstead, NY location.
Responsible for the execution of HKSB’s Mission, goals and objectives through the operation of the day habilitation program for visually impaired, developmentally disabled consumers residing in Nassau, Suffolk, Kings and Queens counties. This program is housed in the Hempstead facility.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Operating the site based Day Habilitation in compliance with all OPWDD and Medicaid regulations.
- Ensuring that all Day Habilitation plans are individualized and current.
- Ensuring accurate billing and billing documentation
- Conduct, schedule and document new staff training and orientation as well as annual trainings
- Conduct regular staff and clinical meetings
- Complete all performance evaluations as required (in a timely manner).
- Participate in OPWDD audits and to develop the Plans of Correction
- Conduct required Committee meetings where appropriate (Infection Control, Incident Review, Human Rights, etc).
- Coordinate all phases of transportation with the Transportation Coordinator.
- Conduct outreach and intake for potential new referrals.
- Ensure staff maintain required licensure and credentials.
- Ensure required annual and semiannual consumer meetings are conducted and all required parties notified.
- Participate in internal QA activities.
- Participate in Incident Review Committee, and conduct/oversee investigations as warranted.
- Partner with Human Resources department to recruit and hire day habilitation staff in accordance with Agency policy.
- Work effectively/cooperatively with all administrators within the agency/department.
- Act as liaison to outside collaterals including CAB representatives, Care Coordinators and residential providers.
- Complete monthly statistical reports as required by the LIDDSO.
- Ensure provision of nursing services.
- Maintain physical plant in accordance with OPWDD regulations. Arrange for necessary repairs.
- Conduct and document required fire drills.
- Maintain supply inventory.
- Responsible for other duties as may be assigned or requested by his/her immediate supervisor and/or the HKSB President & CEO.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a human services field or field of education. A knowledge of all OPWDD regulations and a minimum of 5 years of supervisory and/ or administrative experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
A valid NY State driver’s license.Certification as a SCIP-R instructor preferred.