Job Title: Development Officer
The Development Officer is responsible for managing the development database, overseeing gifts processing, manages marketing materials and supports management operations.
Position is based in our Brooklyn location with frequent travel to the Sands Point location. Occasional evenings and weekends are required.
Must demonstrate a sincere commitment to HKS’ Mission and Values and conduct him/herself at a high professional level at all times and project a positive image of HKS internally and externally.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsible for the development and execution of function/program within his/her span of control in accordance with HKS’ Mission and Strategic Objectives.
Manage Operations for HKS Major Gifts Program
- Identifies, cultivates, and solicits major individual gifts ($1,000 and up) from current and prospective donors.
- Responsible for management of department’s Top Prospect Report, which tracks all sources of major gifts: Individual, Foundation, Government and Corporate.
Manages Marketing Efforts for HKS
- Leads HKS’ Marketing Program for all branches of HKS to ensure proper brand consistency and voice with the support of the Chief Executive Officer and Chief Development Officer. Will establish or re-establish an effective and capable Marketing Committee from executive team, supervisory and line staff in order to accomplish this goal.
- Oversees all the marketing material for the development department and other HKS program units. In support of this assignment, the Marketing Coordinator may draw upon development staff and other creative HKS staff, interns and private sector donated support.
- Manages the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic material.
Support Management and Development Operations
- Executes and manages other major donor fundraising and cultivation events as approved by the Chief Development Officer.
- Responsible for the donor/prospect database in Raiser’s Edge – which includes entering gifts and generating acknowledgement letters; makes decisions regarding gift entry and special receipts and implementing a moves management system for prospecting.
- Supports all operational aspects of the Departments’ fundraising activities.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned by the Chief Executive Officer and/or Chief Development Officer.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s Degree required. Minimum 5 years experience in a professional setting; minimum 2 years work experience in a non-profit setting. Background experience in development, marketing, or public relations preferred.
Creative thinker and problem solver; ability to think critically. Must have Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Collaborative style and agility, the capacity to adapt to changing priorities and refine strategies after feedback. Ability to multi-task and self-prioritize work. Ability to meet deadlines and work in high volume work environment. Ability to work interactively and collaborate as a team.
Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office required, database and internet applications, Raiser's Edge preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Must have a valid driver’s license and ability to travel when needed.