Certified Nursing Assistant
Since 1893, Helen Keller Services (HKS) has been committed to improving the lives of individuals who are blind, visually impaired or have combined hearing and vision loss. HKS is comprised of Helen Keller Services for the Blind, a regional division serving the New York City/Long Island area, and the Helen Keller National Center for Deaf-Blind Youth and Adults, a national division headquartered in Sands Point, New York, with a network of regional offices that extends HKS’ reach across the United States.
We currently have an exciting career opportunity available to join the HKS team as a full time Certified Nursing Assistant in Hempstead, NY. The Certified Nursing Assistant will support the RN by providing medical oversight for Individuals who receive service from the HKSB OPWDD Programs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Administration of and recording of medication prescribed to be given within the programs, as needed.
- Providing first-aid treatment as needed.
- Maintain the MAR and ensure the ordering of all medications, under the direction of the RN
- Train staff in nursing related issues including diabetic management under supervision of RN;
- Monitoring consumers’ vitals, including weight/blood pressure, as needed and reporting any excessive variations to the RN for follow-up.
- Participate at meetings, committees and in-services, as needed.
- Maintain a first-aid kit in and any necessary over the counter medications within the programs.
- Observe for and report to the consumer’s physician any reported medication side effects displayed by consumers as requested by the RN.
- Report to administration any physical injury of consumers.
- Provide assistance with toileting needs of specified individuals, as needed.
- Complete daily documentation in Nurse’s log of interventions as needed.
- Function as a liaison between OPWDD Programs.
- To oversee and encourage food safety.
- To accompany residents with medical needs on trips, as needed.
- To schedule and participate in pharmacy review, as needed or requested by the RN
- To monitor diets and menus as provided by the dietician.
- To complete all other assignments as indicated by your supervisor and/or the direction of the supervising RN.
- Other duties may be assigned.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Must possess certification in AMAP (Authorized Medication Administration Personnel). One year of professional experience working with developmentally disabled persons preferred.