Assistant Program Advisor
The mission of the Helen Keller National Center for Deaf-Blind Youths and Adults is to enable each person who is deaf-blind to live and work in his or her community of choice. Authorized by an Act of Congress in 1967, HKNC is the only organization of its kind—providing training and resources exclusively to people age 16 and over who have combined vision and hearing loss. Students travel from across the country to our headquarters in Sands Point, New York, for on-campus training in assistive technology, vocational services, orientation and mobility, communication and independent living, and our regional offices bring HKNC resources to communities throughout the United States. Employment at HKNC is a "one-of-a-kind" experience and at HKNC, we seek employees who have a strong work ethic, strive for excellence, enjoy a challenge, and are highly motivated and creative.
We currently have an exciting career opportunity available to join the HKNC team as an Assistant Program Advisor at our residential location in Sands Point.
The Assistant Program Advisor ensures that Destiny Home provides home and job opportunities that match each resident’s gifts, abilities and interests with the appropriate supports to ensure success and empowerment as well as accessibility. Ensures the home is in compliance with OPWDD regulations and staff are trained in these regulations. Specific duties include:
- Ensures consistent and timely communication among staff on varying shifts related to consumer’s lifestyle programs or needs, agency activities and policies.
- Provides staff training on HKNC philosophy and OPWDD regulations. Monitors staff competencies and program compliance in these areas.
- Assists with monitoring quality and timeliness of written documentation and reports. Evaluates progress of consumer and submits regular written reports. Writes the monthly reshab summaries for each consumer by compiling information from the daily reshab notes.
- Assists with the review of all of the monthly billing with the Program Advisor.
- Responds to emergency situations, consumer illness, building maintenance or fire by notifying the required personnel and/or providing leadership and decision making if necessary to take appropriate course of action.
- Accompanies, serves as a guide and supports communication access for consumers and staff when necessary in a variety of situations and settings.
- Assists with the supervision of fire drills on a monthly basis.
- Assists with the Monitoring of the monthly budget and expenses.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
Minimum Associates Degree in related field. Bachelor’s degree in Psychology or related field preferred.
Minimum of one year’s Supervisory experience in a Residential Setting serving individuals with multiple disabilities. Minimum of two-three year’s year experience supporting individuals who use behavior as a way to communicate. Experience writing and training staff in the implementation of positive support plans. Current AMAP, CPR, First Aid certifications preferred. BACB certification a plus. Knowledge of the Office of People With Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD) regulation and policy required. Knowledge of sign language and alternative and non-symbolic methods of communication strongly preferred. Must possess a valid New York State Driver’s license. Knowledge of MS Office and Internet required.
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com or visit our website at https://www.helenkeller.org/hks/employment-internship-opportunities to see all our career opportunities available.