Administrative Assistant, OPWDD/Facilities
Job Title: Administrative Assistant - Part Time 25 hours per week
Department: OPWDD/ Facilities
Since 1893, Helen Keller Services (HKS) has been committed to improving the lives of individuals who are blind, visually impaired or have combined hearing and vision loss. HKS is comprised of Helen Keller Services for the Blind, a regional division serving the New York City/Long Island area, and the Helen Keller National Center for Deaf-Blind Youth and Adults, a national division headquartered in Sands Point, New York, with a network of regional offices that extends HKS’ reach across the United States.
We currently have an exciting career opportunity available to join the HKS team as a part time Administrative Assistant for the Department of Facilities and OPWDD Services in Hempstead, NY.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Prepare correspondence in accordance with regulation and program procedures - including letters, meeting notices, activity schedules, trip notifications, flyers and other documents as requested or needed.
- Maintains log for tracking receipts and disbursements for all program attendees – correspondence, datasheets, monthly notes, ISP/CFA.
- Purge expired documents based on regulations and internal policy and procedures.
- Compile and file data related to community outings.
- Compile and type master weekly activity schedule based on instructor’s submission.
- Complete weekly classroom environmental checklist with instructors – complete work orders as needed.
- Compile and copy gas receipts for submission to accounts payable (monthly).
- Copy and file documents as requested.
- Answer phone calls and routes messages.
- Assist with administrative duties for all managers of OPWDD programs.
- Receives and submits work orders; payable/invoices; vendor requests; all matters relating to building upkeep and/or maintenance.
- Orders and maintain office and building supplies.
- Performs follow-up on outstanding orders.
- Processes bills for payment and forwards to accounting department.
- Responsible for work orders and filing of work orders.
- Maintains the building maintenance logs; communicates items and establishes priorities in collaboration with Chief Facilities Management Officer.
- Manages maintenance and repairs for copy machines and other office equipment.
- Distribute bi-weekly paychecks.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High school diploma/Associates degree or some college preferred. 1-2 years’ experience working in an administrative capacity required.
- Must be proficient using MS Office Suite 2010 - Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Must be a self-starter and be able to work independently.
- Excellent attention to detail; follows up promptly and completely; reviews work for accuracy and completeness prior to submitting work to superiors.
- Excellent organizational skills—can organize and prioritize issues quickly.
- Strong basic project management skills—have demonstrated experience in taking a project from start to finish. Must possess good communication skills –both written and oral – can write clear and effective logs, reports and memos that are presentable to management; ability to present facts and issues accurately in a prioritized manner to management and respond to questions from management.
- Must have the ability to use good judgment to quickly identify and determine when issues need to be escalated to management.