Administrative Assistant, Low Vision/Rehabilitation Services
Job Title: Administrative Assistant
Department: Low Vision/Rehabilitation Services
Since 1893, Helen Keller Services (HKS) has been committed to improving the lives of individuals who are blind, visually impaired or have combined hearing and vision loss. HKS is comprised of Helen Keller Services for the Blind, a regional division serving the New York City/Long Island area, and the Helen Keller National Center for Deaf-Blind Youth and Adults, a national division headquartered in Sands Point, New York, with a network of regional offices that extends HKS’ reach across the United States.
We currently have an exciting career opportunity available to join the HKS team as a full time Administrative Assistant for the Department of Low Vision and Rehabilitation Services in Hempstead, NY.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Acts as receptionist in Hempstead location.
- Answers, screens and directs all incoming calls. Takes and distributes messages.
- Handles incoming and outgoing mail including Fed Ex and UPS shipments.
- Schedules appointments for the low vision doctors in every location and provides follow up confirmation of appointments. Appointments will be scheduled via a shared calendar in MS Outlook.
- Acts as point of contact for clients regarding services.
- Assists patients with issues associated with their low vision appointment such as transportation, etc.
- Acts as liaison with NYS CB counselor regarding low vision services.
- Creates, maintains and secures low vision patient records in accordance with HIPAA policies.
- Assists with billing of services as needed.
- Pulls client records for doctor in Hempstead office. Assures client record is available in each location.
- Copies patient record in accordance with HIPAA policies in response to requests from outside providers and subpoenas.
- Enters information into the CIS system as necessary.
- Assists low vision doctor with maintaining patient flow in waiting room.
- Tracks low vision device orders and notifies doctor of receipt.
- Write emails, letters, memos, reports, etc. as needed
- Copies and files as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High school diploma/Associates degree or some college preferred. 1-2 years experience working in an administrative capacity required.
- Must be proficient using MS Office Suite 2010 Word, Excel, Outlook & PowerPoint
- Must be a self-starter and be able to work independently.
- Excellent attention to detail; follows up promptly and completely; reviews work for accuracy and completeness prior to submitting work to superiors.
- Excellent organizational skills—can organize and prioritize issues quickly.
- Strong basic project management skills—have demonstrated experience in taking a project from start to finish.
- Must possess good communication skills –both written and oral – can write clear and effective logs, reports and memos that are presentable to management; ability to present facts and issues accurately in a prioritized manner to management and respond to questions from management.
- Must have the ability to use good judgment to quickly identify and determine when issues need to be escalated to management.