Administrative Assistant – Field Services
Job Title: Administrative Assistant – Field Services
Department: Field Services – REGION 5
Reports To: Regional Representative
The mission of the Helen Keller National Center for Deaf-Blind Youths and Adults is to enable each person who is deaf-blind to live and work in his or her community of choice. Authorized by an Act of Congress in 1967, HKNC is the only organization of its kind—providing training and resources exclusively to people age 16 and over who have combined vision and hearing loss. Students travel from across the country to our headquarters in Sands Point, New York, for on-campus training in assistive technology, vocational services, orientation and mobility, communication and independent living, and our regional offices bring HKNC resources to communities throughout the United States. Employment at HKNC is a "one-of-a-kind" experience and at HKNC, we seek employees who have a strong work ethic, strive for excellence, enjoy a challenge, and are highly motivated and creative.
We currently have an exciting career opportunity available to join the HKNC team as an Administrative Assistant for our North Central Region covering IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, and WI.
The Administrative Assistant position provides administrative support and SSP services for the regional office – Region 5. This position is responsible for managing daily office procedures to support the Regional Representative.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provides administrative support to regional office and regional representative including answering emails, answering telephone calls, composing memos, typing, scanning and faxing documents.
- Creates, maintains, and manages financial record keeping, reports, files and data including travel reimbursements.
- Organizes and processes work in a timely manner, including responding and follow up to requests from consumers, service providers and others.
- Organizes and maintains consumer files.
- Responds to all inquiries in a timely, customer friendly manner.
- Prepare and process reports in accordance with due dates and requested.
- Manage data in File Maker Pro. Run reports as needed and requested.
- Enters and maintains the general office area, including office equipment.
- Orders and maintains office supplies.
- Provide SSP services to the Region 5 Representative.
- Position requires availability to drive and provide SSP services to local and regional appointments when necessary. This may include weekends and evenings.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High school graduate/equivalent; college or secretarial school graduate preferred.
Minimum of three year's work experience in secretarial, clerical or administrative capacity.
Excellent computer skills including proficiency is Microsoft Office (including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Internet Explorer. Experience using MS Access and/or File Maker Pro a plus.
Knowledge of office general equipment and procedures.
Must be extremely organized, professional, detail oriented and self-motivated.
Experience in working with the deaf and/or Deaf-Blind community (or individuals) a plus.
Strong knowledge of ASL preferred.