More Resources for COVID-19
More Resources on COVID-19
- Plain Language Booklet on Coronavirus: https://selfadvocacyinfo.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Plain-Language-Information-on-Coronavirus.pdf
- Spanish Plain Language Booklet on Coronavirus: https://selfadvocacyinfo.org/resource/plain-language-information-on-covid-19-spanish-version/
- ASL Videos and other resources through the National Association for the Deaf (NAD): https://www.nad.org/2020/03/12/coronavirus/
- ASL Video Series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvrp9iOILTQatwnqm61jqFrsfUB4RKh6J
- Q&A: Coronavirus Disease: https://news.shepherd.org/qa-coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19
- U.S. Department of Education Releases Webinar, Fact Sheet for Protecting Students' Civil Rights During COVID-19 Response: https://www.ed.gov/news/press-releases/us-department-education-releases-webinar-fact-sheet-protecting-students-civil-rights-during-covid-19-response
- Coronavirus resources for the blind and visually impaired community: https://blindyblog.com/about-me/coronavirus/
- Coronavirus and Accessible Medical Settings: https://www.hearingloss.org/coronavirus-accessible-medical-settings/
Helpful Apps for Communicating with Medical Personnel
Remote resources for deafblind individuals and the professionals who serve them.
- United Way: call 1-866-211-9966 and provide zip code and will be given a list of local agencies to provide assistance.
- Door Dash, Uber Eats, and other delivery services are removing delivery fees at this time to support local businesses.
- HKNC free Online Learning Tools & Information: https://www.helenkeller.org/hknc/onlinelearningtools
- HKNC Online Classes with CEUs: https://www.helenkeller.org/hknc/online-courses
- ObjectiveEd information: www.objectiveEd.com “ObjectiveEd’s distance learning help students practice many of the Expanded Core Curriculum, with skill-building games for Orientation and Mobility, Assistive Technology and Braille Literacy.” To participate in their offer, visit www.objectiveEd.com/distance
- OHOA Module: An Overview of Deaf-Blindness and Instructional Strategies: https://www.nationaldb.org/products/modules/ohoa/overview/ Note: this is one of 26 web-based Open Hands Open Access modules grouped into five categories. Check out all five categories and modules here: https://www.nationaldb.org/products/modules/ohoa/
- RID Professional development: https://sites.google.com/site/deafblindtip/
- FCC Grants Temporary Waiver of Certain TRS Rules During Coronavirus: https://www.fcc.gov/document/fcc-grants-temporary-waiver-certain-trs-rules-during-coronavirus
- FCC Grants Flexibility to TRS Providers During Coronavirus: https://www.fcc.gov/document/fcc-grants-flexibility-trs-providers-during-coronavirus
- Hearing Loss in the Time of Coronavirus: https://www.hearingloss.org/hearing-loss-time-of-coronavirus/
Freedom Scientific Offers Free Home-Use Software to Those Affected by COVID-19: https://support.freedomscientific.com/About/News/Article/208?utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=85173427&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--Ouhz6NCFQEwHGFH02btu7D6cPVgahuAaMiyvlvjGMkVc6G5k3d8FQDgFIdCzmwpCRBYY6nHwZrbB10FTfwTGgEwEKWA&_hsmi=85173427
- US Providers Offering FREE Wi-Fi or Special Accommodations for 60 Days:
- Comcast- offering free public Wi-Fi for 60 Days to families who do not have a subscription already. https://corporate.comcast.com/press/releases/internet-essentials-low-income-broadband-coronavirus-pandemic
- Charter Communications/Spectrum- https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GOYGiB4FfMKTedrAQ7hr-cqe3eVcPu8nh2V9sqDRRXAadband-and-wifi-for-60-days-for-new-K12-and-college-student-households-and-more
- Altice USA- For households with K-12 and/or college students who may be displaced due to school closures and who do not a currently have home internet access, we are offering our Altice Advantage 30 Mbps broadband solution for free for 60 days to any new customer household within our footprint. https://www.alticeusa.com/news/articles/feature/corporate/altice-usa-brings-free-broadband-k-12-and-college-students-during-coronavirus-pandemic
- AT&T- waiving data overage fees to all customers so that families and students can stay connected during the pandemic. The company is promising not to terminate the service of any customer over the next 60 days. AT&T will continue to offer internet access for qualifying limited income households at $10 a month through the Access from AT&T program. https://about.att.com/pages/COVID-19.html
- Verizon- will waive any late fees and not terminate any service for the next 60 days.
- T-Mobile- ALL current T-Mobile and Metro by T-Mobile customers who have plans with data will have unlimited smartphone data for the next 60 days (excluding roaming). Providing T-Mobile and Metro by T-Mobile customers an additional 20GB of mobile hotspot / tethering service for the next 60 days – coming soon. Working with our Lifeline partners to provide customers extra free data up to 5GB of data per month over the next two months. Increasing the data allowance for free to schools and students using our EmpowerED digital learning programs to ensure each participant has access to at least 20GB of data per month for the next 60 days.
- Sprint - Not terminating service if they are unable to pay their Sprint bill because of the coronavirus, and waiving late fees incurred because of economic circumstances related to the pandemic. Customers with international long distance calling plans will receive complimentary international calling rates from the U.S. to countries defined by the CDC as Level 3. Customers with metered data plans will receive unlimited data per month for 60 days (a minimum of two bill cycles) at no extra cost. We will provide customers with an additional 20GB of mobile hotspot data per month for 60 days (a minimum of two bill cycles) at no extra cost.
Orientation and Mobility
- Techniques for Remote Instruction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wNjResbqVWKuQqew0OcuuXd2I4o5ZC4WZc27zE7Ywww/edit
- Eyes-Free Fitness: https://www.blindalive.com/
- Hadley’s Get Up and Walk (or Jog)! April 7, 2020 at 8:00PM EDT. We'll share ideas and advice on starting a walking or jogging route. Hadley Practice Leader and Certified Orientation and Mobility Instructor Charmaine Martin will join us to offer tips on how to get started and stick to a routine, and safety techniques to consider. Zoom Link: https://zoom.us/j/226961337?status=success Conference Dial in by Phone:+1 929 205 6099 Meeting ID: 226 961 337
- Remote and Virtual O&M Services: http://www.livebinders.com/b/2536433
Teachers & Classroom
- Blindfold Games: www.blindfoldgames.org
- “We are providing free access to our digital curriculum to schools and teachers to use with their students with vision impairments through the end of the current 2019/2020 school year. ObjectiveEd’s distance learning help students practice many of the Expanded Core Curriculum, with skill-building games for Orientation and Mobility, Assistive Technology and Braille Literacy.” www.objectiveEd.com/distance
- Resources for DHH Teachers and Families: https://mn.gov/deaf-commission/news/?id=1063-423881
- Improving Postsecondary Outcomes for All Students with Disabilities: https://www.transitionta.org/system/tdf/news/NTACT_at%20home%20instructional%20resources_March2020.pdf?file=1&type=node&id=2001&force=0
- Perkin’s Pinterest pages for at home activities: https://pin.it/6COibME
Discussion Groups, Support Groups, etc.
- Hadley Discussion Groups: https://hadley.edu/discussions/
- HLAA WEBINAR, “What Nelson Mandela and Others Teach Us About Coping with the Coronavirus and Isolation”: https://www.hearingloss.org/webinars/coronavirus-and-isolation/
- NYDBC Distance Learning Series Plan for Families & Professionals: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1vj5AvksKjzSBT1lRQUpGduHPLZ9jsWp0
Movies & Media
- Blog: https://www.thisdeafblindlife.com/blog
- Podcast: The Tactile Traveler: Nick Isenberg ‘Blind Like Me’ www.blindlikeme.podbean.com
- TED Talks Videos on Youtube:
Robert Waldinger: What Makes a Good Life?
Amy Purdy: Living Beyond Limits
Richard St. John: Success is a Continuous Journey
Michele L. Sullivan: Asking for Help is a Strength, Not a Weakness
Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance
Chip Conley: Measuring What Makes a Life Worthwhile
Susan David: The Gift and Power of Emotional Courage
Alison Ledgerwood: A Simple Trick to Improve Positive Thinking
Julian Treasure: How to Speak so that People Want to Listen
Shawn Achor: The Happy Secret to Better Work
Dan Gilbert: The Surprising Science of Happiness
Kelly McGonigal: How to Make Stress Your Friend
Netflix: Pick of the Litter
You Tube or Amazon Prime: Quill: The Life of a Guide Dog