Deaf-Blind Immersion Seminar
Deaf-Blind Immersion Seminar (DBIS)
An innovative assessment and training program for individuals who are deaf-blind and have intellectual disabilities (FOCUS person) and the STAFF who support them.
Length of Program: Five (5) Days - Monday through Friday
Each FOCUS person will:
- Receive a lifestyle assessment through participation in preferred functional activities related to work, home and leisure.
- Develop an individualized communication system incorporating object cues, object symbols, picture cues and American Sign Language (ASL) to bring home.
- Receive a low vision and audiology assessment
- Identify environmental modifications incorporating tactual cues and markings, contrast, low vision adaptations, audiology cues and vibrating alerting systems.
Each STAFF person will:
- Receive a hands-on, in-the-moment staff training and mentoring with their FOCUS person from 8am-8pm.
- Receive training in alternate communication systems; (ASL); etiologies; orientation & mobility; tactual teaching techniques and adaptive strategies for vocational and daily living activities; conversational approach; person-centered planning and community participation.
- Contribute to the creation of an activities/communication portfolio for the FOCUS person for use at home.
A team of HKNC’s experienced staff (including Destiny Home’s program coordinator, Dee Corbett, HKNC’s Interpreting Services supervisor, Kathy Anello, HKNC senior rehabilitation training instructor, Michael Richards and HKNC’s director - Direct Services, Laura Rocchio) will guide, train and model tactual techniques and personalized strategies to support the FOCUS person to participate more fully in life.
Staff who would benefit from this training seminar include job coaches, habilitation specialists, program managers, behavior specialists and therapists. All participants need to provide a copy of their most recent PPD Skin Test (Tuberculosis Test)
The FOCUS person and his/her STAFF person will reside in the HKNC Residence and join the Destiny Group Home program. Visiting staff will be responsible for the support and administration of medications for the FOCUS person for the duration of the program.
Cost for FOCUS person: The home state VR program rate or funding through Medicaid
Cost for staff: Room and board fee is $50/day for each staff member
For further information, please contact Laura Rocchio by email or by phone at 516-944-8900 x 304.